from "HISTORY 0F THE QUEEN'S COUNTY. "
LEIX AND ITS PEOPLE IN QUEEN ELIZABETH'S REIGN. page 445
Feranolauler (O'Lalor's land) is situated south of Feranodoulin and south -east of Toumologan. "Lalor's Mills' in this district is famous as the place where the treaty was signed on St Patrick's Day in 1607 between the Seven Septs and Crosby (acting for the Government) as a result of which the Septs of Leix were transplanted to Kerry. The townland of Ballycarney is still locally known as Lalor's Mills.
Castle Duccurd (or Ballynockan castle) presents a difficulty. The name Duccurd does not occur in any Fiants or Inquisitions. We must only conclude that the map-maker fell into an error, as he did in a similar manner when writing C. Owton for Cool-banagher. Feran O'Lalor comprised the townlands of Carigmban (? Cremorgan), CrocAedongan (?Croshyduff); the castles of Dysart (C. Pigot) and Ballyknocan; and the Churches of Dysart-Enos, and Kilcolmanbane.
..In the parish of Kilcombane is Ballycarney, marked on the old Map of Leix and Ophaly, often referred to as Ballycarnan, and placed in the country of the O'Lalors, called Feranolalor. By patent of Queen Elizabeth dated the 16th of October in the nineteenth year of her reign, Sir Robert Pigott of Dysert, among his other grants had the "rectory of Kilcolmanbane together with all the churches, chapels, etc., to the same belonging, and also the presentation of a vickar to the church of Kilcolmanbane aforesaid, to whom belongeth the third part of all the tithes of the aforesaid parsonage."
Ancient map detail of Feranolauler
Ancient map of county Kildare
Return to home page: ol-Lalours.htm